Photobucket

How to manage time on the GMAT

One of the qualities tested on the GMAT is time management. The difficulty level for the questions on the GMAT is not phenomenal. But, given the time constraint, even the best of the best can falter. It is by mastering the concepts and practicing incessantly in a similated test environment (explained in a previous post) does one gain the right to earn a 700+ score.

While the above is a pre-requisite for scoring high on the GMAT, there are some tips that I have come to know which definitely improve your ability to score high.

1) Do it the long way, if needed: There is an popular saying in language composition and general writing. It goes like this - "I would have written a shorter letter, if I had the time". I think it is relevant to the GMAT, as well. The point is that there may be ways to solve a problem more "elegantly". But then, if thining that elegant approach takes a lot of time, it is of no use during the GMAT. When you can use brute force (hand calculations) to solve something, do it. Dont think over it. Also, spend time to prepare yourself for such hand calculations.

2) Approximate solutions are sometimes good enough: On the maths, atleast, we do not always need to find an exact answer. Finding an approximate answer is enough when most of the answer choices are just to populate the space.

3) Plan ahead of the test and stick to it: Plan how long do you intend to spend on each section based on your ability. Depending upon your preparation, you would need longer on some sections and much shorter on some. During practise tests, measure whether you are able to stick to the time you planned for it. For me: I gave an average of 1 min to SC, 1.5 min to a CR, and 3 mins to RC, with around 5 mins to spare at the end of the test. This extra time to spare is important as I have also mentioned in this post.

For the length of the CAT, a general rule of thumb is to give 2.5 minutes to the first 1/3rd of the test and 1.5 minutes / question for the rest of it. Beyond doubt, I think the first few questions of the test are important.

4) Dont miss the last questions: Always keep an eye on the clock. DONT MISS THE LAST QUESTIONS. While I have already adviced to plan some extra time for the end of test, if you are still short of time, just guess. There is a penalty for missing questions (unanswered), which is more severe than getting them wrong. Its like your score gets penalized even for the ones you got right. Example scenerio: Consider someone who answered first 30 questions all correct, but for some reason missed his last 7. Would he get a perfect score? No. According to what I know of the test, his score would be scaled down to the number of questions he attempted.

5) Employ the POE: Master the process of elimination technique to hurry problem solving. Practise is the only way I know to master it. You need to become familiar with patterns in the answer choices and see which ones to elimiate (opposite answers, almost right answers, out of scope answers etc).

If you have any more insights that you have generated from your preparation, please feel free to comment and share for everyone's good.

0 comments: